Whoever says You’re never going to meet anyone if you’re not willing to put yourself out there is totally lying. Take Calypso, for example. This former Titaness had plenty of visitors while she was doing nothing but living life trapped on the phantom island of Ogygia. Sure, all the shipwrecked heroes eventually left her to go back to their wives and girlfriends. Even so, Calypso never gave up hope that one day Mr. Right would finally wash up on her shore.
But who could have ever predicted that he would be the hyperactive demigod son of Hephaestus?
Leo and Calypso may be one of the more out-of-left-field pairings in the Heroes of Olympus series, but we can’t deny how cute they are together. And frankly, we’re just happy that, after centuries of waiting, Calypso finally met someone who was worthy of her love (and helped her finally get off that freaking island).
That’s why we wanted to celebrate this fan-favorite pairing by chronicling their history:
Before Percy Jackson and the Olympians
• Calypso is banished to the phantom island of Ogygia as punishment for siding with her father, Atlas, against the Greek gods during the First Titan War. She is cursed to fall in love with anyone who reaches the island.
• While stranded on Ogygia, Calypso has a series of suitors, including Odysseus and Sir Francis Drake. However, through no fault of her own (according to her), none of these relationships pan out.
The Battle of the Labyrinth
• Hera sends Percy Jackson to Ogygia to recover after he causes Mount Saint Helens to erupt. As Calypso nurses the demigod back to health, the two start to form a bond.
• Calypso offers Percy the chance to stay on the island forever as an immortal. Like all the other heroes who arrived on Ogygia before him, Percy decides he must leave in order to help his friends. Calypso accepts his decision and ships him off with a moonlace plant.
The Last Olympian
• When Percy meets with the Greek gods, he vouches for Calypso’s innocence and pleads for her freedom. His request is denied.
The House of Hades
• During a fight with Khione, the Greek goddess of snow, Leo is flung to Ogygia, where he meets Calypso. The two start off on the wrong foot and stay out of each other’s way at first.
• Despite finding him kind of annoying, Calypso begins to appreciate Leo’s inventive contributions to life on the island. Likewise, Leo begins to appreciate how Calypso takes care of the little things, like making sure he actually eats some food every once in a while.
• Gaea, the earth mother, appears and offers Calypso a chance to free herself from Ogygia. All Calypso has to do is kill Leo right there and then. Since Calypso isn’t a complete psychopath, she refuses the offer and banishes Gaea from the island.
• Calypso helps Leo escape Ogygia. Before he leaves, Leo promises that he will return to free her. She claims it’s impossible, but he doesn’t want to hear it. The two share a kiss before they say goodbye.
The Blood of Olympus
• Leo is in his feelings and misses Calypso. He works on a plan to return to Ogygia but before he can execute it, he is fatally wounded in a battle with Gaea.
• Leo is resurrected by his mechanical dragon, Festus, and uses Odysseus’s Astrolabe navigation tool to return to Ogygia. Leo and Calypso share a heartfelt reunion. Calypso gives up her immortality and magical powers to join Leo in the human world.
The Hidden Oracle
• Leo and Calypso return to Camp Half-Blood together.
The Dark Prophecy
• Leo and Calypso assist the god Apollo (in teenage form) in his battle against Triumvirate Holdings.
• While living at the Waystation, a refuge for demigods, monsters, and Hunters, Calypso begins to regain some of her magic.
The Tower of Nero
• Calypso has been attending high school and over the summer, she works as a band camp counselor. Turns out she loves spending time in the mortal world, even if it means giving up some of her quality time with Leo.
• Leo tells Reyna and Apollo that he misses Calypso when she’s at band camp, but he admits that they may need a little time apart to make their relationship work. Apollo and Reyna assure Leo that she’ll come around eventually. We can all hope along with Leo!
Did we miss any big Caleo moments? Be sure to let us know!